Stachybotrys is a type of mold that most of the world refers to as “black mold”. This type of mold is not uncommon and can be extremely dangerous for those in proximity to a growth area. While stachybotrys is known as black mold, it can appear in a variety of different colors including black, pink orange, white and pale. Like other mold spores, stachybotris is very light and while most growth occurs on a moist surface they float around in the air within a home and air ducts. Once these spores are inhaled or ingested, harmful side effects are very likely to occur.
Some side effects include, fever, chronic headaches, chronic fatigue, rashes, skin irritation, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose. Two infant deaths were originally linked to a stachybotrys infested home in Ohio. Stachybotrys species create potentially dangerous mycotoxins including verrucarin J and Satratoxins F, G, and H. If you suspect that you may have stachybotrys in your home or office you should call a certified mold inspector to preform an air quality test. This type of mold is easily identified in a lab evaluated air quality sample. If a sample does come back indicating high levels of any type of mold, action should be taken to remove to mold from the home.